Saturday, January 16, 2010

Miss Kitty, my barkeep, and Blood and Sand


I consoled myself earlier this week with a drink called Blood and Sand. My good friend, Miss Kitty passed away.  When they are old and sick you can prepare yourself, but she wasn’t.  The vet thinks she was manufacturing blood clots, when I took her in her front left side was paralyzed. So we did what was best for her.

Miss Kitty was named for the barkeep on Gunsmoke.  Pretty, aloof and  smart, topped off with a little of a hard edge.

I am realizing that in my old age, I am enjoying lighter, tropical drinks.  Blood and Sand’s only drawback is the color of the drink, in a dark bar I suppose you wouldn’t notice.

My supply of Famous Grouse Scotch, est. 1800, is running low.  Dewar’s White Label, est. 1846, is the new kid on the block.  Amazingly, you can see a color difference, the Grouse is darker.  The Famous Grouse also has an earthier smell compared to the Dewar’s.  My experiment on learning to drink Scotch is progressing well.  I can drink two fingers of Dewar’s with one ice cube, no water.

Blood and Sand

1 part DeKuyper Cherry Flavored Brandy
1 part blended Scotch
4 parts orange juice  

3 comments:

  1. Single malts generally run from amber to deep gold in color - as lovely to look at as they are to smell. Dewar's might be popular because it isn't as confrontational as Old Grouch, er, Famous Grouse. In the single malt world, Glenlivet performs for me in that way; it's inoffensive, it's what I'd bring to a party where there weren't any Scotch drinkers. It's not bad - it's too mild-tasting to be unpleasant.

    Last night I enjoyed the rich gold of my Lagavulin distiller's edition. But tonight a friend took me out for sushi, so it was Wakatake Onikoroshi premium sake. Nice stuff, that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I am an Old Grouch fan, Dewar's was nice, but not much of a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am truly sorry to hear of her passing. We had a "Miss Kitty" too in our household. She was a Himalayan Persian, so some of the Persian meanness was missing. (She was still antisocial though!) It is always hard to have to make that kind of decision about a loved pet.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

Boomer, hippie, yuppie, none of these are me. Born in the 50's, graduated from high school in the 60's, married & had children in the 70's, graduated from college in the 80's, joined corporate America & divorced in the 90's, was an early casualty of the recession in 00's,08, still unemployed in 09.

Followers