Thursday, December 31, 2009

Becoming a Scotch whisky drinker in thirty days, an eight step program

The New Year started early with a thumb-high measure of Famous Grouse topped off with ice cubes and distilled water.  (It is important to note that I used distilled water for my friends and family’s peace of mind since I have the highest iron count water in the county coming out of my well, and I shut down the filtration system that wasn’t working months ago.  Although… rusty water mixed with whisky , who would know?)

Famous Grouse is a blended Scotch whisky.  And according to the clerk at the store, a favourite of the English military.  A Scotch of the Southern Highland or Midland region, “Their spirit tends to be fruity, nutty and medium sweet.”

That review was spot on, what a lovely, mild Scotch.  Thumb-high?  I could have done more.  I need a second glass.  This thirty day program may get fast tracked.  My first cocktail of the year will be the Speyside Sling.  Cherries and cherry brandy tempt me.

Source: http://www.cocktailtimes.com/history/scotch/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Boomer, hippie, yuppie, none of these are me. Born in the 50's, graduated from high school in the 60's, married & had children in the 70's, graduated from college in the 80's, joined corporate America & divorced in the 90's, was an early casualty of the recession in 00's,08, still unemployed in 09.

Followers